Malawi, Nigeria and Kenya are calling for the evacuation of their nationals from South Africa amid continuing xenophobic attacks and violence in the coastal city of Durban, media reports said. At least five non-South Africans, including a 14-year-old boy, have been killed in Durban since last week, and the violence has so far displaced about 5,000 foreigners in the eastern port city. Officials fear the attacks could escalate.
The Malawian government announced Thursday it would evacuate its nationals from South Africa, Agence France-Presse reported. Hundreds of Malawians are living in refugee camps in Durban after fleeing the xenophobic violence, leaving their homes and belongings behind, including their passports. “The situation is really tense as about 360 Malawians are stranded in South Africa following xenophobic attacks there,” Malawi’s Information Minister Kondwani Nankhumwa said Thursday.